Why Did Jesus Reveal His Sacred Heart?Christ appeared to St. Margaret Mary at a time when the Jansenist heresy ran wild in France. The Jansenists took a pessimistic view of humanity and God. They claimed that God did not give all souls enough grace to fight sin. They claimed that the soul without grace will always lose to sin. But, the soul with grace will always prevail against it.
Jesus desired to correct this wrong, legalistic view of His love for humanity. His Sacred Heart shows His deep love and compassion. Christ’s Sacred Heart is on fire with love for humanity.
Jesus also asked for more participation in the Eucharist and Confession, especially on the first Friday of each month. He also asked for reparation for the sins committed against His Sacred Heart and the Holy Eucharist.
In 1856, Pope Pius IX finally added the the Solemnity of the Sacred Heart to the liturgy.
The 12 Promises of the Sacred Heart Devotion
- I will give them all the graces necessary in their state of life.
- I will establish peace in their homes.
- I will comfort them in all their afflictions.
- I will be their secure refuge during life, and above all, in death.
- I will bestow abundant blessings upon all their undertakings.
- Sinners will find in My Heart the source and infinite ocean of mercy.
- Lukewarm souls shall become fervent.
- Fervent souls shall quickly mount to high perfection.
- I will bless every place in which an image of My Heart is exposed
- I will give to priests the gift of touching the most hardened hearts.
- Those who shall promote this devotion shall have their names
written in My Heart.
- I promise you in the excessive mercy of My Heart that My all powerful love will grant to all those who receive Holy Communion on the First Fridays in nine consecutive months the grace of final perseverance; they shall not die in My disgrace, nor without receiving their sacraments. My divine Heart shall be their safe refuge in this last moment.
Morning Offering to the Sacred Heart of Jesus
Praying a Morning Offering is one of the best ways to start your day. One of the most famous prayers features the Sacred Heart:
O Jesus, through the Immaculate Heart of Mary,
I offer you my prayers, works, joys, and sufferings of this day
for all the intentions of your Sacred Heart,
in union with the Holy Sacrifice of the Mass throughout the world,
for the salvation of souls, the reparation of sins, the reunion of all Christians,
and in particular for the intentions of the Holy Father this month.